Monday, February 7, 2011

Healthy Birthday Cake

Derrick has a birthday tomorrow, so I made a healthy birthday cake which we have been enjoying.

I was given this recipe about 27 years ago and what I like mostly is that it doesn't have oil and I can add more carrot if I wish.

Carrot Spice Cake

Bring to the boil and simmer 5 minutes:
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sultanas
1 1/3 cups cold water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Cool and add:
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 chopped nuts (optional) I used pumpkin seeds instead
pinch salt

Mix well.
Pour into a round cake tin (with a hole in the center) approx 9" diameter.
Bake for 40 - 50 minutes at 190 deg C.

Ice with lemon butter icing or be extravagant and make a cream cheese frosting with 175g cream cheese, at room temperature, mix in 1/2 cup icing sugar and grated zest from 1 lemon. Sprinkle with chopped dried apricots and/or pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy!

No comments: