Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Painting on a Finished Quilt

I have finished the Western Front quilt, except for the 'embellishments'. I had always intended to extend my usual style by pushing the boundaries challenging what I would do on this banner. So, I have made a traditional block background, cut it up and turned the pieces around, just to stitch them together again. The colours of the commercial fabric were too bright, so my intent was to paint over the blocks - in the style of Laura and Linda Kemshall - and I have used acrylic paint!
Here are a couple of unpainted pieces (showing more of the quilting):
Now, painted:
I wanted it to look muddy without obliterating all the colour underneath.

Just a few more pieces to add to the top and it will be finished.


Rona said...

Looks great. I haven't had the confidence to do something like that yet!
Congratulations on being a winner in the Transformation Challenge.

Erilyn said...

Thanks, Rona. Believe me, there was a lot of procrastination before getting the paint out - but then, sometimes you just have to jump straight in! Also, you have to working on something different to be painting it last, I think :-)