Even though it's been a couple of months since I shifted the sewing room into the spare bedroom, we have been deliberating on how to put up the design wall. Firstly I purchased 2 sheets of polystyrene foam sheets about 25mm thick and 1.2m x 2.4m. How were we going to put them on the wall? In the end we decided on gluing the 2 sheets onto some custom wood or wallboard and attaching the backing to the wall. So off we went to the hardware store and bought 2 sheets of custom wood, some glue and a glue gun.
Here are some photos of the boards going up and the foam being glued on. It takes 24 hours to harden, which is just as well, because we must have used too much glue - we ran out of the stuff with just one sheet of foam!
Using the correct tools is very important!
Checking for the stud to anchor the backing board.
The first sheet of polystyrene is glued in place.
Starting the anchoring of the calico cover sheet.
This is exciting stuff. I will be able to organise the room now, instead of having piles and piles of wool for felting, material, unfinished quilts and miscellaneous pieces of paper. The wardrobe needs to be re-sorted and I will probably look more seriously at selling some of the teddy bears which I made for sale a couple of years ago. I have also procured a set of drawers which is almost the same height as the Horn Sewing Cabinet. It now holds the old Husqvarna sewing machine, the overlocker and miscellaneous threads. With the 2 tops of the cabinets I have a good size area for the cutting board and somewhere to put the ruler rack.