Monday, July 2, 2012

Dyeing Fabric and Wool

I'm trying to clear up some loose ends around the sewing studio, and with a 2-day class at the end of the month, have started organising items on the needs list. I wanted some background fabric that will have pieces of colour added on top in a mosaic form.
Time to dye and use something pretty ugly!
Here is the fabric, and some plain white homespun wool I put into the same dye-bath.
 As I was using the Dylon permanent fabric dye, mixed in a bucket, I was able to dye both at the same time. It takes about an hour with occasional stirring.
This is the end result:
The fabric on the left was in the dye-bath for the recommended period of time, the fabric on the right was left in overnight.
I made myself some slippers with the homespun wool:
The pattern is a free one from Ravelry.
I tried to make another pattern to felt knitted slippers, but using homespun Romney wool doesn't felt very successfully!

No comments: