Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hand-made Christmas Decorations - Part 2

We lived in Singapore in the 1980's. It was a wonderful time for young children - the exposure to different cultures, language and food around them all the time.
My handcraft at that time was cross-stitch. It was relatively easy to find material, threads and patterns and getting articles framed was not very expensive. My first piece shows how much I didn't know about working the thread, but I still put it out to remind me of how much you can learn (I haven't shown it here).
So here are some cross-stitch pieces that make an appearance at Christmas:
Viewed from inside
 Little pictures of the Christmas tree
Viewed from outside
This is a large picture which I had to re-size and re-frame after breaking the glass. The matt board is a modern shape of a tree - the original was very triangular:
This olde worlde Santa is made with plastic canvas and wool - my first attempt at the long stitches - he is free standing:
When the girls were very little I made them each a cross-stitch stocking. They were an ideal size to put little stocking fillers in, but because of the age of them, I've asked that they are treated as decorations - besides, the stocking fillers don't fit in very well now!
So here is Rebecca's stocking plus the newer, quilted ones:
Hope you enjoy looking at these!

2 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Enjoy your preparations. We will have to have to turn our pre-Christmas drink into a new year celebration ;-)

Chris said...

Thank you so much for sharing your handmade decorations! We pull out the things I made years (and years!) ago each December and it is indeed a wonderful time to remember.

Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year!