Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cake Decorating

Rebecca and I went to a cake decorating display at The Dowse Gallery in Lower Hutt at the weekend. Mostly it was the sugar decorations, and I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with the work on display - it was very hard to tell if it was sugar or silk in some cases - but the criteria for each section indicated what was/wasn't allowed.
Here is my favourite:
simple, elegant and beautifully decorated.
Now this one was in a different category, but impressed me because the size, work, and colour (I don't necessarily like it, but you have to admit, it's a work of art!):
Lastly, this one was made for eating - definitely not a work of art and not in the show! A gluten-free citrus cake for Sarah's birthday. It has citrus icing with crystallized peel - I didn't know how to decorate it really, plus it had to travel and as it was, it did take a tumble!
The recipe comes from Clevedon Cafe, I got the recipe from the New Zealand Chef site and halved it. Very yummy, quite dense and doesn't need to be iced (if it comes out of the pan OK).

2 comments:

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

WOW, some very very fancy cakes there! Must try out your recipe, it sounds delicious.

RubySlippers said...

The blue cake is my favourite! Great photo too- nice detail!