Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Weather Made Me Do It!

Yes, I know that it's winter, but I'm tired of all the rain! Thunderstorms and torrential rain today.
Yesterday at work I was processing a new book Untamed: the extraordinary adventures of the Swazi man by Davey Hughes.
I found his recipe for Never Fail Camp-oven Bread, and today was the kind of day you had to have bread rising in the hot water cupboard and then baking in the oven.
So here we are, mmm! mmm! :

just out of the oven

can you see the steam rising? how about smell it?
The texture looks OK. I was a little worried because there seemed to be a lot of sugar, but this just needs butter (and it is great!).
I'm going to include Davey's recipe, just in case you can't get hold of the book. So from page 288:
Never-fail Camp-oven Bread
6 handfuls plain flour
6 cupped hands sugar
2 cupped hands yeast
1 cupped hand salt
warm (not hot) water

Mix the dry ingredients together.
Bind with warm water.
Knead dough for 5 minutes
Shape dough to fit camp oven allowing for expansion around the sides. If you are cooking around a camp fire, Davey says about 15cm away and give it a 1/4 turn every 10 minutes for 40 minutes total (lid on).
(I put this in the hot water cupboard or if yours isn't very warm, the lowest heat in your oven, like 70deg celsius).
If it has risen, hang the camp oven about 20cm from the top of the coals (approx. 150 celsius heat) and bake for 45 minutes.
As you can see the measurements are very loose!
Davey says: " Six handfuls are just that, about as much flour as you can fit in your hand." A cupped hand is "as if you were using it to hold water to drink, filling it to the first crease of your fingers."

Just as an aside from bread making, I think that this book also promises to be an entertaining and informative read - that's just from the little bits I've read (and I'm not a hunting, trapping, adrenalin-junkie type of person!)

No comments: