Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dinner and a Quiz Evening

Last night my quilting group, Quilty Pleasures, gathered at my place for a relaxing dinner and quiz evening. We invited our partners as well and had a great time. We all had to find 5 questions, one of them being a multi-choice, on a chosen topic. It was interesting to hear the questions from everyone (what they had chosen), and then to find out how much we didn't know!
I made the pre-dinner nibbles.
So here is the corn bread (thank you Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall of River Cottage):

This recipe makes quite a big bread, very filling and would be fantastic with soup. I gave everyone some to take home as well.
Next I made some ricotta using citric acid instead of vinegar or lemon juice.
Here are the curds forming:

And this shows the curd being strained:
From 2 litres of milk I had just over a litre of whey. That's not wasted, I used some in the cornbread and the rest I'll use in scones or something.
I also made a Moroccan hummus and had chutneys from my own produce (the fresh fig and a pear chutney, my own Kasundi relish and a feijoa 'cheese'). The table looked great and had interesting flavours:
Another thing to celebrate:
This is my 500th post - WooHoo!

3 comments:

Serabelle said...

WoW!
First of all, congratulations on your 500 posts! I love following your blog, it's really inspiring and your photos are just beautiful.
Second of all, holy cow that spread of food looks AMAZING! Can't believe you handmade all of those things. Self-sufficient woman. Keep up the fabulous blog x

Erilyn said...

Why, thank you! It's so much fun presenting home made goodies, don't you think? Especially when you have grown the produce as well!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Congrats on the 500th post - your spread looks divine :-)